Starting on St. Andrew's Feast day, November 30), the following
beautiful prayer is traditionally recited fifteen times a day until
Christmas. This is a very meditative prayer that helps us increase our
awareness of the real focus of Christmas and helps us prepare ourselves
spiritually for His coming.
Hail and blessed be the hour and moment
In which the Son of God was born
Of the most pure Virgin Mary,
at midnight, in Bethlehem,
in the piercing cold.
In that hour vouchsafe, I beseech Thee,
O my God,
to hear my prayer and grant my desires,
[hear mention your request]
through the merits of Our Saviour Jesus Christ,
and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.
My Christmas Pledge with Prayer to the Infant Jesus
I Promise . . .
I. To make my Christmas a holy day with Christ-----not a holiday without Him.
2. To observe Christmas as the birthday of Christ-----not a day to give and receive material gifts.
3. To remember that the real symbols of Christmas are the Star, the Stable and the Crib-----not Santa Claus and his reindeer.
4. To teach my children that "Santa Claus" is the nickname of St. Nicholas-----who gave to the poor in honor of Christ.
5. To help one poor family-----in honor of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, the Holy Family of Bethlehem.
6. To send Christmas cards remindful of Him, the Infant Savior-----not decorated only with candy canes, dogs, ribbons and wreaths.
7. To make room in my home for Him-----with a Christmas Crib to remind me that He was born in a stable.
8. During the Christmas season, in a special way, to honor Mary, His mother-----who kept the first Christmas vigil beside the manger.
9. To begin Christmas by leading my family to His altar-----to receive the Bread of Life.
10. Today and every day, to give "Glory to God in the highest"-----to work and pray for "Peace on earth to men of good will."
Nihil Obstat: Joseph A. M. Quigley, Censor Librorum
Imprimatur, + John J Krol, D.D., J.C.D., Archbishop of Philadelphia, March, 1964
Prayer to the Infant Jesus
Come to me, O Divine Savior, vouchsafe to be born in my heart.
Grant that, taught by Thine example, and assisted by Thy grace, I may
be poor in spirit and humble of heart. Keep me chaste and obedient. I
wish to live but for Thee, and to do all things purely for love of
O Mary, my Advocate and Mother, obtain by thy prayers forgiveness of my
past offenses and holy perseverance unto death. St. Joseph, do thou
also pray for me, that I may become daily more pleasing to Jesus. Amen.
WITH ECCLESIASTICAL APPROBATION
BACK TO THE NOVENA
BACK TO THE CHRISTMAS PLEDGE